In our book, biological psychology, we were briefly informed about a little boy in Pakistan, who would street perform about his abilities to feel no pain. I instantly became obsessed with this kind of disorder and need to know more. I began research on diseases and disorder that led to feeling no pain. It was at that moment when I came across this very special little girl. She has an amazing story and I am going to share it with you. Her name is Ashlyn Blocker and I dedicate this blog to her.
Ashlyn was born with a rare disease called congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis (CIPA). CIPA is an extremely rare inherited disorder of the nervous system which prevents the sensation of pain, heat, cold, or any real nerve-related sensations. An estimate of less than 100 people in the united states have this rare disorder. Ashlyn was diagnosed with this disorder after a family visit to the eye doctor. She was giving a painful dye in the eye and everybody freaked that she didn't even flinch. Her parents share that Ashlyn's toddler years were the worst and the most terrifying. She would constantly bite herself, bruise herself and even burn herself. Now, at the age of 12, Ashlyn is still diagnosed with the same disorder but is doing all that is necessary to keep herself under control. She still thinks and take on life as if she was just as ordinary as any other normal child. Best of all, about this little girl, her and her family started this camp where other families who are dealing with similar issues get together and have a campout. They all state that its nice to be around people who know exactly what they are going through. It's one of those "its nice to know we are not alone moments."
I know I wrote brief about Ashlyn but don't worry if you want to learn more I have attached her article and a video on her. Check it out and be inspired by someone who is just as amazing as you are.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-06/news/32569673_1_ashlyn-rare-disorder-abc-news
that was a wonderful story and it's terrifying to think that a child could have no pain. Speaking as a father that is all you do is make sure your children don't hurt themselves in any way. The parents of Ashyln couldn't be happier to see that they are making a difference. In Summer session 1 i took a class Crisis intervention and the instructor showed us something similar to this story but it was about children with Autism that did not feel pain either but they would literally try and hurt themselves and others. it is amazing what our brain can makes us feel or in this case not feel. Outstanding research Ashley
ReplyDeleteThanks Rob. I don't have kids but I do have a younger brother and sister and they mean the world to me so I just can't even imagine if something like this were to happen to them. It's frightening just to think about it.
DeleteAt first I thought "wow! no pain! how awesome would that be?! You would be like a superhero!" Then it kinda got scary because you could actually die from not feeling pain. And then I thought I'll rather take the pain and live to see another day. That little girl is so awesome! She just takes it as it is since thats all she's known but she doesn't let it put her down, I love stories like these!
ReplyDeleteHa I love stories like these too! I am not going to lie I thought no pain was pretty cool too. Then, reading and doing research on the harm not feeling pain can have on a someone is terrifying. I am just glad that I can feel pain.
DeleteAshley:
ReplyDeleteThis was so interesting to me because I right away thought of my kids and what struggles I would be going through if I didn't what was happening to their bodies because there was no pain. I know my main job as a mother is and will always be to avoid all pain for my kids and seeing that there are families that don't have the luxury of a cry or a flinch was mind blowing.
The initial photos on the video from Ashlyn were terrifying to say the least. The burns the bruises and the cuts many people would think the worse.
This information makes me want to have pain and thank God that I and my family have the possibility to deal with pain otherwise who knows how many times there could of been an accident or illness and have no idea.
I know exactly what you mean rachel on feeling blessed and fortunate for being able to feel pain. I am glad you found this interesting. Thanks for the post and I am sure you are a wonderful mother. Keep it up!
DeleteI remember watching a documentary about people with this rare disorder years ago and they show different patients that had so many problems with broken bones and backs. They had to have multiple surgeries which took a a huge tole on the families not only financial but emotionally. I mean seeing your kid or sibling go through all that must be really hard to see. One person they mentioned had a broken bone for weeks and didn't even realize it.
ReplyDeleteI mean its incredible how a disorder like this can exist since we need pain so much to know of the dangers that can harm us. I'm glad that there is such a camp for people who are going through this.
I too thought the camp was just great. I was nice to see that even though the family was going through a huge struggle, they still manage to not give up and give back by helping the other families out there that are struggling like them. I was just wonderful. Thanks for the post
Delete