Monday, October 8, 2012

The 6th Leading Cause of Death: ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE!

Alzheimer's disease is a form of dementia that worsens over time. This disease affects memory, thinking and behavior. Dementia is a loss of brain function by a cause of disease. You are more likely to get Alzheimer's when you are older. one thing that I found interesting though were a couple of facts in an article that I search up on the web. It stated that being female puts you at risk for getting the disease. Also, having high blood pressure and having a history of head trauma are risk factors for Alzheimer's.

Enough about that, I want to share with you a quick little personal story about Alzheimer's. I lost my great-grandfather to Alzheimer's. He got the disease primarily because of old age. He lived to be 86. When his nurse gave us the news, she said he did have much time left in him and we had the 'option' to spend the day with him. She didn't recommend spending a day with my great-grandpa become he wouldn't remember any of us and we would only confuse him and probably scare him. I did like that she gave an "option". My great-grandpa is family and there is no disease in the world that can take that away. Anyway, my family spent the day with him. We took him out and bought him new clothes and at  the end of day, once everyone said their good byes, he waves me over to him and whispers to me "good bye little ashley" Then he goes in the deepest of sleeps. That moment was beautiful and I knew that i was special to my great-grandpa because he remembered me out of everyone else.

My great-grandpa's alzheimer's just sort of snuck up on us. We didn't think anything like this would happen. Coming from mexican and hispanic heritage we have that stereotypical idea of Alzheimer's being  a white man disease, so you can just imagine how surprised we were to get the news. I think this is very important to mention because not a lot of people know the true facts about Alzheimer's. We automatically assume its a disease for the elderly. Not a lot of people know that Alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States! This is interesting and insane. Check out this video on facts about Alzheimer's disease.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't realize how severe it was until after I saw your video. I'm sorry about your great-grandfather by the way. I guess I can understand from where you're coming from; I have an uncle from my cousin's side that has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. They tell us that he forgets where he is from time to time, even forget peoples faces. I remember I said hi to him once and he looked at me like he was meeting me for the first time. But I can't imagine what you and your family had to go through. Though there are few treatments for Alzheimer's, do you think it's best just to make it as comfortable for them as possible(like calmly remind them or go along with it)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I know the feeling. We actually posted about the same thing and I am sorry about your great-grandfather. I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's Disease 2 years ago to date.
    It is interesting how many hispanics just don't know what Alzheimer's is and that it doesn't have affect but it does.
    Just like you stated the risks are higher when a patient has high blood pressure. My grandmother suffered from high blood pressure and like I stated in my blog she began at the age of 40.
    I liked how you said that your great-grandpa remembered you, because when my grandma was dying her last days, I was just a few months pregnant, not knowing that it was a baby girl. My grandmother called me to her bedside and said mija you're going to have a girl I know it.
    It turns out that I did and that moment still makes me smile everyday.
    I am glad that your family did that for your great-grandpa and I pray that people become more aware so just like your family that can be supportive families for Alzheimer patients.

    ReplyDelete