Monday, November 12, 2012

Am I Manic?

Roughly this times blog will be very vague being that we only read one section of the following chapter on mood disorders. I feel the need to talk about a specific type of mood disorder known as mania.
People with bipolar disorder, manic-depressive disorder, alternate between two kinds of symptoms; depression and its opposite, mania. Mania is an abnormally elevated mood, arousal and energy levels. Mania is classified as a bipolar I disorder. The list below are some warning signs  of mania.

  • mood changes
  • increased energy
  • speech disruptions
  • impaired judgement
  • hypersexuality
  • changes in thought patterns
  • psychosis ( paranoia, hallucinations, delusions)

A person with this mood disorder is going to go through a period of depression and these periods are called episodes. A manic episode is characterized by period of time where an elevated, expansive or notably irritable mood is present, lasting for at least one week.

Is there treatment for this severe bipolar disorder? The answer is yes. Pharmacological intervention or medications is the best treatment for this type of disorder.

  • lithium
  • Anticonvulsants
  • Calcium Channel Blockers
  • Antipsychotics
  • Benzodiazepines- central nervous system depressants


Before I sign off i thought my bloggers could do something a little interesting and fun. Below, I have posted a link to take "Am I Manic?" quiz. This is not a diagnosis. Its is only to get an idea and maybe you might want to get yourself check out. Personally I took the quiz and my score was slightly high. I scored a 39 and my results were mild/serve manic depressive...sooo I am a little worried! I had no idea. Take the quiz and let me know what your results were.

http://psychcentral.com/maniaquiz.htm

1 comment:

  1. well i scored a 22 and it said that i was mild. but in reality i think we all are because of what we go through on a daily basis. if its not work its school or kids.......and the list goes on. we all suffer from some sort of mania and those who say they don't they must be on something or just plain lying.

    ReplyDelete